SHOPRITE IN NIGERIA AND THEIR LOCATIONS
Who owns Shoprite in Nigeria? Christo Wiese is the CEO. The first Shoprite in Nigeria was opened in December 2005 and is situated at Victoria Island area of Lagos.
Also, the biggest store in Nigeria is located at Novare Lekki Mall, Lagos. This Lekki store is the largest Shoprite in West Africa and can pack 1000 cars at a time.
Founded in 1979 by South African Billionaire Christo Wiese, Shoprite has grown into an international retail firm with presence in several African countries.
Shoprite retail locations spread across these countries operate under the Shoprite Holdings Limited which serves as the parent company.
Today, Shoprite is the biggest retail chain in Africa with a strong brand name that has won the respect of its loyal clients.
Shoprite’s Business Objectives
Shoprite has the goal of providing a world class one-stop shopping experience where everything needed by the consumer is available while supporting local businesses and suppliers who work with Shoprite to source for the best products locally thereby improving local businesses through this business partnership.
This is in addition to providing the cheapest prices on goods, making its operations quite competitive.
Shoprite Operation in Nigeria
In Nigeria, which forms part of the countries Shoprite has presence in, the Shoprite brand has been widely accepted among Nigerians, with its ever expanding business outlets across the states in Nigeria.
Due to the high patronage witnessed in its business operations which typically sell retail goods like consumer products, Shoprite has opened multiple outlets meant to serve its increasing customers, especially in those states with high population like Lagos.
Shoprite Brand and its Impact
Shoprite launched its first business operation in the Nigerian market in 2005. Since then, the company has witnessed tremendous patronage and gained acceptance among Nigerians, as there are now several shopping malls spread across the country.
The popularity is such that in a shopping mall it shares with brands such as Game and other retail brands, such mall is likely to be called by Nigerians as “Shoprite,” not minding that there are other retail brands/similar businesses within the mall.
The advantage Shoprite has over other similar brands is in its mode of operation which has been patterned to suit the Nigerian market. The friendly layout of the mall which allows for easily accessing desired products without much hassle has endeared it to Nigerians.
Another selling point working for Shoprite Nigeria is its cheap food sold mostly in takeaways which is quite affordable to the common Nigerian.
The organization of the Shoprite retail store plus the consumer goods sold at very competitive prices has continually been a factor that draws patronage from far and wide.
This is the reason why it is widely accepted whenever it launches in a new location or state in Nigeria, because being a low-cost retail store, Nigerians across all social classes can afford its products and services.
Shoprite enrols its workforce using its online application platform where interested applicants are expected to apply to. If qualified for this position, such individuals are contacted and called for an interview. Shoprite Nigeria usually selects vibrant individuals that fit its objectives. These individuals are well trained and deployed to Shoprite locations where they are most needed.
Shoprite’s List of Outlets in Nigeria
With its wide spread across several states in Nigeria, and still expanding, this section will be providing the list of its business locations and outlets across the states in Nigeria in addition to their dates of commencement of business operations.
Some of these states, especially high population density states have multiple Shoprite locations. Shoprite has the following locations;
Abuja FCT (Federal Capital Territory)
The Shoprite Nigeria outlets for Abuja are located at:
- the Grand Towers, Murtala Mohammed Way along Apo Mechanic Village, and
- Silverbird Abuja located at the Silverbird Entertainment Centre, Close to the Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Central Business District.
Lagos, which serves as Shoprites first location when they commenced business operations in Nigeria has the highest outlets. The high number of outlets in Lagos can be attributed to its population.
Lagos has the highest population in Nigeria, and would naturally make businesses target such locations as ready market for their products. Shoprite locations in Lagos include the following;
- Ikeja City Mall located along the Obafemi Awolowo Way, Opposite Elephant House, Alausa, Ikeja.
- The Palms Shopping Centre off Lekki Express Way, Beside British International School, Victoria Island
- Adeniran Ogunsanya Shopping Centre located at Surulere
- The Cocoa Mall located at Park Lane, Apapa
- Festival Mall off Festac Link Road Amuwo Odofin, Festac
Oyo State has two Shoprite locations located at Cocoa Mall and Ibadan Mall.
- For its Cocoa Mall outlet, its address is at Bank Road, Dugbe Ibadan.
- For its Ibadan Mall, its address is Opposite High Court, Ring Road Ibadan.
- Anambra has one Shoprite location. This is located at Park Road, Onitsha.
- Delta State has one Shoprite location. This is found at Effurun Mall Effurun Round About Along Effurun-Ughelli Road, Effurun.
- There is one Shoprite location in Enugu. Its address is Old GRA, Polo Amusement Park, Abakaliki Road, Enugu
- Shoprite has one outlet in Kwara State. This is located at Fate Road, beside NTA, Ilorin.
- Kano has a single Shoprite location found at Ado Bayero Mall, Zoo Road beside Kano Trade Fair Complex, Kano.
These are Shoprite’s locations in Nigeria.
However, the franchise outlet continues to expand its operations to cover more locations and states. This has totally revolutionized the way people purchase goods and services.